You are not signed in (Login or Join Free)   |   Help
Sploofus Trivia
Trivia GamesCommunityLeaderboardsTournaments
NOTICE: Sploofus is closing May 31st.    Click here for more details

You are here:  Home  >>  Chat Forums  >>  The Salty Dog  >>  View Chat Message

View Chat Message

Pages:  1    

Lisaal  (Level: 54.5 - Posts: 36)
Mon, 27th Oct '08 2:23 AM


ok i'm at my wits end and need some advice (preferably legal advice). It's regarding custody of my grandchild and i'm scared and not sure what to do. If this isnt the proper forum please tell me so before i spill the beans. I'm just not sure what to do.

Lisa in TX

Rowlanda  (Level: 70.0 - Posts: 2853)
Mon, 27th Oct '08 2:30 AM

The subject is anything and everything in Salty Dog....
especially if you need a fast answer....
I'm sorry you're scared....please tell us how we can help.
I know nothing but I can pray for you and your grandson

Rowlanda  (Level: 70.0 - Posts: 2853)
Mon, 27th Oct '08 2:32 AM

Sorry....your grandchild....

4getful1  (Level: 185.1 - Posts: 3081)
Mon, 27th Oct '08 5:17 AM

The beauty of this island is we are like family here. Don't be surprised to get some private messages of encouragement and offers of support/advice and prayers. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your grandchild.

Bigbird  (Level: 250.6 - Posts: 3353)
Mon, 27th Oct '08 5:25 AM

Lisa - I'm sure we're all behind you, but you really need to go to a lawyer. Laws are different in every state, and even if one of us has the background to advise you, that advice might not be correct for where you are. If my grandchild were in question - I would rush right now for legal assistance.

Revdodd  (Level: 68.7 - Posts: 775)
Mon, 27th Oct '08 6:07 AM

BBird's right, as usual.

Thie forum is a fine place to seek insight, direction, even a lugh. Alas, the range of states (even nations!) weighing in here make legal matters an impossibility.

I'm betting your state has a Guardian ad Litem program. It would be wise to give them a call.

Mplaw51  (Level: 185.5 - Posts: 1580)
Mon, 27th Oct '08 6:10 AM

I agree with Alice. A lawyer and perhaps whatever child protective services you have in your state if that's appropriate for your situation. Legal advice first.

Pennwoman  (Level: 163.1 - Posts: 2475)
Mon, 27th Oct '08 11:25 AM

Absolutely, you need a lawyer -- the ways things work, you cant get anywhere without one. Good luck and will keep you in my prayers.

Lisaal  (Level: 54.5 - Posts: 36)
Tue, 28th Oct '08 1:03 PM

i have spoke to a lawyer who wouldnt really give me much advice unless i retain him. which of course to start was 1,500, just to start. I dont like throwing my business out there, but this is the situation. I worked for the state for 22 years, 7 left before i could retire. My mother, who has multiple illnesses and lives with me so i can care for her, well she became ill, and it was necessary for me to take intermittent FMLA from work so i could care for her, she had 10 fractures along her spine and two days after my FMLA was up, i was terminated. Soooooo money is definately an issue here. I have another appointment with an attorney and someone else said i might be able to get one "pro-bono". I am sort of stuck and have never been thru this before. I'm pissed off that the baby's mom can just leave him like that cause "her life is to busy right now". If i came across as whining, please forgive me. I dont care for whiners and wont do it myself. Which is why i dont like sharing my business or asking for help..~l~.. i'm a mess i know. Was just hoping perhaps a lawyer who was familiar with Texas law might be part of the group. Thanks for all the well wishes and yes... he is my grandson. who is currently throwing my CD's away..~l~.. i gotta go..
Thanks everyone


Chender  (Level: 205.1 - Posts: 160)
Tue, 28th Oct '08 1:49 PM

You're not whining. Better to write here than bang your head against a wall!

Nasty things happen to nice people. My sister was in a similar situation, spent money she couldn't afford and finally won custody. Her grandson made her very happy.

Alvandy  (Level: 242.1 - Posts: 7727)
Tue, 28th Oct '08 2:34 PM

Check with your local Bar Association for information about pro bono attorneys and see if there is non-profit legal aid services agency in your area.

P.S.If you private message me with your location, I will try to help you with these referrals. I have resources
I can contact through my employment with the United Way network.


Tsk9653  (Level: 113.2 - Posts: 1466)
Tue, 28th Oct '08 2:41 PM


In Michigan, this would be a relatively simple procedure that could even be handled without counsel. From what you have said, daugher does not want to take care of the grandchild. Presumably, she would agree to make you the grandchild's legal guardian -- which would not permanently severe your daughter's parental rights should she get herself together. In Michigan, there are Court-approved forms to be used in such proceedings, and a court appearance is required but is relatively perfunctory in your circumstances. I can't speak to Texas law, but there tends to be a high degree of similarity in state laws on such issues.

If you wanted permanent custody, it would involve severing your daughter's parental rights, and would be a bigger deal even if she agreed to it and would invole investigation of your fitness if you sought permanent custody.

Hope this helps.

Jeannette  (Level: 115.1 - Posts: 1734)
Tue, 28th Oct '08 6:05 PM

i hope everything is resolved quickly for you and your grandson ,im sure there are lots of people on here who can and will afvise you .my love to all hang on on there things will get better xx

Pages:  1    

Copyright © 2003-2017 Sploofus Holdings LLC.  All rights reserved.
Legal Notice & Privacy Statement  |  Link to Sploofus