not signed in
You are here:
View Chat Message
View Chat Message
Return to Forum
Post a Response
Thu, 19th Mar '09 10:58 AM
WORD PUZZLE AUTHORING CONTEST FOR APRIL: SUMMARY & FAQ
The April contest was originally announced in Salty Dog:
We've consolidated information for you and are presenting it in two different formats to accommodate various reading styles.
How to Enter:
- If it's your first WP, submit a support ticket to receive a PM link and instructions, then
- Write your WP and submit it to your editor, clearly marked as a contest entry
- Only Platinum members can enter (non-Plats feel free to upgrade to join in!)
- Entry deadline is MIDNIGHT, MARCH 31, SPLOOFUS TIME
- Only one entry per Platinum member
- DO NOT tell people you've entered or you'll be disqualified!
- All entrants receive a wager token just for entering (at the end of the contest).
- All Gold and Platinum members who play and vote for 90-100% of the puzzles will receive a wager token (at the end of the contest).
- Finding the subject of your WP: Brainstorm with your friends (NOT Sploofusers!), base it on your favorite past WPs, hobbies, etc. Your editor will help refine/finish the puzzle with you.
- A guide to writing WPs: check out this Hotwire thread
What will happen:
- All contest puzzles will run during the month of April; titles will begin with C: to indicate they are contest entries
- All contest puzzles will be anonymous
- All Platinum & Gold members will vote (see 'Voting' below)
- The winners will receive wager tokens: 1st = 5, 2nd = 3, 3rd & 4th = 2, 5th through 10th = 1. All will be awarded at the conclusion of the contest.
- Only Platinum and Gold members can vote, and each member can only vote once on each puzzle
- Platinum members who enter the contest can vote for their own puzzle
- Only those who've played the puzzles (and are therefore in the WP log) can vote on them
- Votes will be sent by PM to a dummy account named "Wordpuzzle" (created just for the contest!), with the name of the puzzle in the Subject field and the vote in the body of the message.
- The scale for voting is as follows (please take care to use the scale the right way around, and don't give a puzzle a 1 that you intended to give a 5, or vice versa!):
5 = Loved it! 4 = Very enjoyable, 3 = Fairly entertaining, 2 = OK, but could be more fun, 1 = Not my cup of tea
- Here is the link to Wordpuzzle:
(for easy access to PM your vote in)
- Please do NOT post feedback on the contest WPs until AFTER the ENTIRE CONTEST is over!
- Please do NOT announce how you voted, even then!
- All WPs will be anonymous, even to the announcement of the winners, which will be by WP title only.
- If you want to put up a post saying which was your WP, AFTER THE CONTEST IS OVER (but NOT before), that's up to you, but it's not a requirement - you can remain anonymous if you wish.
Thu, 19th Mar '09 11:00 AM
ENTERING & RULES
Q. Who is eligible to enter the contest?
A. All Platinum members. Gold and Free members may upgrade to Platinum and enter the contest as long as they meet the submission deadline.
Q. What do I have to do to enter?
A. 1) If you do not already have a word puzzle editor, submit a support ticket. You will then receive a PM link to an editor with further instructions.
2) Write a word puzzle and submit it to your editor via your editor/author PM link. Be sure to indicate on your submission that your word puzzle is your contest entry.
Q. When is the deadline for submissions?
A. Midnight Sploofus time, March 31.
Q. Can I submit more than one word puzzle for the contest?
A. No. Each eligible author may submit only one word puzzle for the contest. You may continue to write and submit non-contest word puzzles, however.
Q. Can I tell all my Sploofus friends about my contest word puzzle?
A. No. DO NOT let anyone know you entered the contest, as that will disqualify your entry.
Q. Can I earn anything for entering the contest?
A. Yes! All Platinum members who submit a contest WP will receive one wager token.
Q. Oh boy! When do I get my wager token?
A. At the conclusion of the contest.
Thu, 19th Mar '09 11:02 AM
WRITING TIPS & PUZZLE PUBLICATION
Q. I want to submit a WP for the contest, but I can't think of anything to write about. What do I do?
A. Relax, bounce some ideas off your non-Sploofus friends, use your favorite past WPs as models. Your hobbies can often be good sources of inspiration, such as traveling, watching old movies, skydiving, and so on. Your editor is also available to help you refine your clues and phrases.
Q. I've never written a word puzzle before. Is there some sort of handbook?
A. Yes! Your editor will have sent you instructions when you signed up to author WPs. In addition, you can find the latest Guide to Word Puzzle Authoring in the Hotwire forum:
Q. I want to submit a word puzzle, but I want to stay anonymous forever. Is that possible?
A. Yes. No one need ever know you wrote a contest WP.
Q. OK, I've submitted a word puzzle. When will it run?
A. During the month of April.
Q. Will my puzzle have my name on it and my editor's name?
A. No. Puzzles will be posted with no names to identify them.
Thu, 19th Mar '09 11:04 AM
Q. Who is eligible to vote on the contest word puzzles?
A. All Platinum and Gold members.
Q. Can I earn a prize for voting?
A. Yes, by being a dedicated voter! Play and vote for 90-100% of the contest word puzzles, and you will receive one wager token.
Q. How do I vote?
A. 1) Play and complete contest WPs. You must show in our word puzzle log as having completed word puzzles in order for your votes to count.
2) To vote on a particular word puzzle, you will send a PM to a dummy account called Wordpuzzle. This account has been set up specifically for the contest.
3) In the PM, type the name of the puzzle as the subject and your rating score in the text.
Q. How do I rate the contest word puzzles?
A. The scale for voting is as follows:
5 - Loved it!
4 - Very enjoyable
3 - Fairly entertaining
2 - OK, but could be more fun
1 - Not my cup of tea
Please be sure you understand the scale so that you do not inadvertently give a WP a rating of 1 that you intended to give a 5. Ideally, it is recommended that you include your text rating along with the number rating. For example, if you want to rate a WP as a 5, type: 5 - Loved it.
Q. How do I PM Wordpuzzle so I can vote?
A. Please use this link to PM Wordpuzzle during the contest:
Q. Can I vote for a particular WP more than once?
A. No. One vote per person per puzzle.
Q. Can I vote for my own word puzzle?
A. Yes, you can.
Q. When I'm playing a WP, how will I know it's for the contest?
A. C: will precede the title of the WP. Example title: C: Welsh Whimsy
Thu, 19th Mar '09 11:05 AM
WINNING & PRIZES
Q. How are winners determined?
A. By tabulating votes.
Q. How will winners be announced?
A. By puzzle title only. Authors can step forward and claim their puzzle or remain anonymous.
Q. If I'm a winner, what do I get?
A. More wager tokens! The highest rated WPs for April will win wager tokens as follows:
1st place: 5 wager tokens
2nd place: 3 wager tokens
3rd place: 2 wager tokens
4th place: 2 wager tokens
5th thru 10th place: 1 wager token
Q. Are there any other prizes?
A. Yes! Every Platinum member who enters the contest will be awarded a wager token. Every Gold and Platinum member who plays and votes for 90-100% of the contest word puzzles will earn a wager token.
Q. When will the wager tokens be given out?
A. At the conclusion of the contest.
Thu, 19th Mar '09 11:06 AM
RULES ON WORD PUZZLE FEEDBACK THREADS
Q. When can I comment on contest WPs in Salty Dog?
A. AFTER the ENTIRE CONTEST is over. Please DO NOT begin any feedback threads in Salty Dog or any other forum during the contest. They will be deleted.
If you know you'll want to comment on a particular puzzle, please feel free to jot down as many notes as you'd like, and you can post them after the contest is over.
Q. What if I find a typo in a contest word puzzle? What do I do?
A. If you find a misspelling, please submit a support ticket. Please do not post about errors in the forums.
Q. What is the rationale for the no-feedback policy until after the contest?
A. To preserve author anonymity and fairness throughout the competition.
Q. After the contest is over, can I tell my Sploofus friends how I voted?
A. No. Please do NOT reveal how you voted on any puzzle.
Tue, 31st Mar '09 12:50 PM
For your voting convenience, here is the link again to Wordpuzzle:
Return to Forum
Post a Response
Players Online (1:57 AM EST)
VIEW ONLINE PLAYERS
= Online player
Copyright © 2003-2017 Sploofus Holdings LLC. All rights reserved.
Legal Notice & Privacy Statement
Link to Sploofus