You are not signed in (Login or Join Free)   |   Help
Sploofus Trivia
Trivia GamesCommunityLeaderboardsTournaments
MySploofus
You are here:  Home  >>  Chat Forums  >>  The Salty Dog  >>  View Chat Message

View Chat Message



Pages:  1    


clevercloggs
Clevercloggs  (Level: 27.4 - Posts: 1246)
Wed, 21st Oct '09 12:29 PM

WARNING FOR DOG OWNERS

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, OH

This week I had the first case in history of raisin

Toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was

A 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix

That ate half a canister of raisins sometime

Between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He

Started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking

About 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't

Call my emergency service until 7 AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND

Grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't

Seen any formal paper on the subject. We

Had her bring the dog in immediately. In the

Meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,

And the doctor there was like me - had heard

Something about it, but... Anyway, we

Contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison

Control Center and they said to give IV fluids

At 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the

Kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.




He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet

And his renal values continued to increase

Daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a

Diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting

Medications and they still couldn't control his

Vomiting. Today his urine output decreased

Again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was

At 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his

Blood pressure, which had been staying around

150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit

And the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners

Who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please

Alert everyone you know who has a dog of this

Very serious risk.




Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could

Be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes

Or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any

Exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa, avocadoes and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.


Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends

Who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above .....

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp


alvandy
Alvandy  (Level: 229.1 - Posts: 7560)
Wed, 21st Oct '09 12:40 PM

Very informative and worrisome for pet owners. Last night, a neighbor stopped me while I was walking my dog, Josette, , and told me that her two dogs suffered some type of poisoning last Saturday. They needed emergency treatment at the vets.
Unfortunately one dog died during the treatment.The other one is recovering.
The cause was not determined, but it had to have been a toxic substance. Perhaps a person threw raisins in their yard- who knows?
Thanks for sharing.

1mks
1mks  (Level: 210.8 - Posts: 5883)
Wed, 21st Oct '09 12:42 PM

That's horrendous. Thanks so much for posting it. You may have just saved a lot of dogs by getting that information out.

salzypat
Salzypat  (Level: 156.1 - Posts: 5313)
Wed, 21st Oct '09 4:07 PM

That's good information to know. We forget that dogs will eat anything because they don't taste things as we do.

A few years ago, I left the German shepherd I had at the time in the house while I went to work. When I came home she was absolutely bouncing off the walls. There was a can of coffee she had found somewhere - since I don't drink coffee I don't know where she found it; must have had it at some time to serve guests. Anyway, she had eaten a bunch of the coffee and she was a mess.

She never was 100% the same after that, although I was lucky in that she didn't die and did not have severe after effects. Coffee is toxic also.

sandracam
Sandracam  (Level: 149.3 - Posts: 4190)
Wed, 21st Oct '09 7:20 PM

Isn't it weird that dogs love to roll in poo and dead animals, but will freak out if they have perfume sprayed near them? Guess we're lucky are noses aren't quite so "sharp"!

jank0614
Jank0614  (Level: 67.1 - Posts: 4597)
Wed, 21st Oct '09 8:39 PM

I had heard of the raisin thing before, but I had totally forgotten. Thank you for the reminder!

uturntama
Uturntama  (Level: 51.0 - Posts: 179)
Thu, 22nd Oct '09 1:43 AM

I'm a dog lover.....thanks for the important info.

rowlanda
Rowlanda  (Level: 70.0 - Posts: 2856)
Thu, 22nd Oct '09 4:28 AM

Thanks Clevercloggs for passing on that information.
Don't know how many beloved pets you may have saved
from extended suffering and maybe even death....

What we also need to be careful about are flowers and
plants the dogs may encouter during their walks. Some
fairly common garden plants are also quite toxic. I have
even read that Hydrangeas can be poisinous to animals.

We have to keep our pets on a leash - and teach them
to "DROP" whatever we know isn't food for dogs.





Pages:  1    



Copyright © 2003-2016 Sploofus Holdings LLC.  All rights reserved.
Legal Notice & Privacy Statement  |  Link to Sploofus